Profitable Trading Since 2009
The Best Books For Technical Analysis
The Best Trader/Investor Auto-Biographies & Biographies
All the books you see listed below are books that I have read. If you come to my office you will find all of these books ( plus many more) on my bookshelf. I selected these books because I was able to get something from each of them that helped me become a better trader. Even after 14 years, I am still learning but these are the books that have helped me on my journey so far.
The Best Books For Understanding Macro-Finance & Market Structure
Best Books For Trading Psychology
The Best Books For Traders & Investors
Trading psychology is the most important aspect of trading. It doesn't matter how awesome your setups/methods/strategies are, if you can't manage your emotions and think in a certain way, you won't make money. Her are some of the books that helped shape my thinking:
1. The following books are a series of profiles written by Jack Schwager with some of the best traders of our time. They cover each trader's strategy and success as well as their failures but the most important thing that I got from the series ( i read each book at least twice) was the way these traders think...their psychological approach to the markets and trading:
2. The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes: Easily one of the best books written on Trading Psychology. This is the book that got me started on self examination when i have the inevitable losing streak.
3. Trading In The Zone: This is another must read book for everyone who is serious about trading. As I said before, the whole psychological aspect of trading is very important to success and this is one of the books that places it in context.
As I said before, most of my trading is technical and short term. I started out as a fundamental trader so I was a late comer to the Technical Analysis game but once I got here, these are some of the books that i leaned on and they have paid off handsomely.
The Best Books For Fundamental Analysis & Stock Picking
I only recently (in the last two years) started appreciating the importance of understanding whats going on in terms of the bigger picture and understanding the micro structure ( the way orders are filled, exchange routing, dark pools etc). Don't get me wrong, it is possible to trade successfully without knowing how/where your order is routed ( I did it for years) but being able to see and understand these things is very empowering. These are the books that help me understand this:
3. Empirical Market Structure: The Institutions, Economics & Econometrics Of Securities Trading (not currently available)
4. Trading & Exchanges (not currently available)
I am mostly a technical trader especially since most of my trading is relatively short term. But I do have a retirement portfolio where I by stocks for the long term and that is where these books come in. Each of them has contributed to my being able to find good stocks, analyze and understand them and hold on to them.
I like to read the stories of top traders & investors and learn about how they got to be at the top of their game and what they are doing now. This list is short but its still growing as I continue to seek out new books/interviews etc. But these are the books I read so far that I consider to be very good and worth a read: